John Barton Arundel Acland, youngest son of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, was one among a number of the English gentry who migrated in the 1840s and 1850s. Acland and his friend Charles Tripp arrived in Lyttelton in 1855, and acquired 114,000 acres (46,134 hectares) in the Rangitātā area. Their partnership ended in 1862, with Acland taking Mt Peel in South Canterbury. This photograph of Acland in his study at Mt Peel station in 1893 was taken by his daughter Harriet.
Using this item
University of Canterbury, Macmillan Brown Library Photograph Collection
Reference: CP 4897
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.