Eastwoodhill garden presents a colourful display each autumn as the leaves of its deciduous trees turn yellow, orange and red. Douglas Cook began planting his woodland garden on hills east of Gisborne in 1910. Over the next 55 years he established New Zealand’s finest collection of exotic trees and shrubs on 135 hectares of landscaped grounds. Since 1975 Eastwoodhill has been managed as a trust. It was recognised as the national arboretum of New Zealand in 2005.
Using this item
Photograph by Paul Wynen
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.