Story: Public gardens

Rotorua Government Gardens, around 1910

Rotorua Government Gardens, around 1910

The Rotorua Government Gardens were created in the 1890s to complement the large bathhouse. The scrub-covered thermal site was transformed into a garden with large lawns, conifers, ponds, shrub borders, rose beds and tennis courts.

Using this item

Rotorua Museum of Art and History, Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa
Reference: OP-2489

Permission of Rotorua Museum of Art and History Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Maggy Wassilieff, 'Public gardens - Municipal public gardens', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/18820/rotorua-government-gardens-around-1910 (accessed 12 November 2019)

Story by Maggy Wassilieff, published 24 Nov 2008