Wellington Botanic Garden served as a colonial nursery and trial garden during the later part of the 19th century. Its founder, James Hector, planted rectangular beds as a teaching garden. In 1910 these beds were still in use, and are visible under the grove of cabbage trees.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.