In 1881 over 1,500 troops were sent to occupy the Taranaki village of Parihaka and disperse its inhabitants. Parihaka was the centre of a peaceful movement to resist the European occupation of land confiscated from Māori. This photograph shows members of the Constabulary Field Force awaiting orders to advance on the settlement.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.