Because of the importance of horses on 19th-century farms, a blacksmith’s shop or smithy was often necessary. The Ōrari Gorge smithy was built in 1866–67 and features a raised vent on the apex of the roof to let out the smoke and steam. The smithy is one of five surviving farm buildings along with a cadet building, a futtah (whata), a saddlery and stables. Ōrari Gorge was part of land leased by Charles Tripp and John Acland in the Canterbury high country in 1855. In 1861 the partnership was dissolved, and Ōrari Gorge Station has remained in the Tripp family ever since.
Using this item
Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.