This painting by Charles Barraud is of Cheviot Hills – one of the most valuable stations in Canterbury. After the death of the owner, William Robinson, the Crown purchased the property in December 1892. By March 1895, the Crown had subdivided the property and disposed of the land to 320 settlers. The purchase and settlement of Cheviot Hills showed the government’s determination to break up the big estates and make land available for small farmers.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.