Story: Te Arawa

Mokoia Island, Lake Rotorua

Mokoia Island, Lake Rotorua

Originally known as Te Motu-tapu-a-Tinirau, this island can be reached by a short boat trip from Rotorua township. Mokoia has fertile soil, and Te Arawa made good use of this to cultivate kūmara (sweet potato). The island’s present name, Mokoia, alludes to the death of Arorangi at the hands of Uenukukōpako, whose weapon was a kō, or digging stick. The death blow caught Arorangi across his tattooed forehead. From the words moko (tattoo) and kō (digging stick) comes the name Mokoia.

Using this item

Department of Conservation
Photograph by Peter Morrison

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Paul Tapsell, 'Te Arawa - Settlement and migration', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/1524/mokoia-island-lake-rotorua (accessed 19 March 2019)

Story by Paul Tapsell, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 22 Mar 2017