This fully carved whare (house) is on the shores of Lake Rotoiti. It was opened in 1941 by Korokī, the fifth Māori king, who traced his descent from Tamatekapua. Rangitihi was another descendant, and the name of the building, Ngā Pūmanawa e Waru o te Arawa, refers to eight hearts – the collective name for Rangitihi’s children. The house was built for the descendants of these ‘eight hearts’.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: W. J. Phillipps, Carved houses of Te Arawa. Wellington: Dominion Museum, 1946–1948, p. 90.
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.