Story: Te Arawa

Te Arawa monument, Maketū

Te Arawa monument, Maketū

This monument at Ōngātoro, Maketū, was built for New Zealand’s 1940 centennial celebrations of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. It marks the landing point of the Te Arawa canoe after its journey of over 3,000 km from Hawaiki. The Kaituna River flows into the sea behind the monument and the land on the horizon in the middle of the picture, which appears to be an island, is Mt Maunganui.

About this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Peter Hodsell

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Paul Tapsell, 'Te Arawa - Settlement and migration', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/1515/te-arawa-monument-maketu (accessed 20 October 2017)

Story by Paul Tapsell, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 22 Mar 2017