Story: Te Arawa

Te Arawa tribal area

Te Arawa tribal area

On arrival in New Zealand the Te Arawa people explored the Bay of Plenty to the far eastern reaches of Whangaparāoa (Cape Runaway) and to the inner harbours of Waitematā (Hauraki Gulf). At that time, the Bay of Plenty was densely forested to the shoreline. Repeated burning improved access inland and also encouraged the growth of bracken fern, tī and tutu. The people soon moved inland toward the geothermal areas around the Rotorua lakes. Te Arawa allude to this entire territory in their saying ‘Mai Maketū ki Tongariro ... Ko Te Arawa te waka’, which places the prow of the Te Arawa canoe at Maketū on the Bay of Plenty coast, and the stern at Mt Tongariro.

About this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Paul Tapsell, 'Te Arawa - Origins', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/map/1513/te-arawa-tribal-area (accessed 19 October 2017)

Story by Paul Tapsell, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 22 Mar 2017