Aoraki/Mt Cook was an early tourist destination, and a small hotel, the Hermitage, was built near the Mueller Glacier in 1894–95. Seen here around 1910, it was destroyed by floods in 1913 and replaced by a new structure. This burnt down in 1957, and was replaced by the current Hermitage hotel. Land around the mountain was reserved in the late 19th century, but Mount Cook National Park was not established until 1953.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: Photo Collection 22, Img00344
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment