From 1899 to 1920, English language tests were used to help keep Asians and others out of New Zealand. After 1920, other restrictive measures were used. But when restrictions based on ethnicity and race were abandoned in 1974, a knowledge of English was no longer essential to gain permanent residence, although it helped. From 1991 a modest level of English was once again required. The standard became higher in 1995, and again in 2002. The demand for English language skills is now met by language schools such as the Capital Language Academy in Wellington. The photograph shows a class in progress.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Miranda Wells
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.