Opened in 1854, Christ Church in Taitā is Wellington’s oldest surviving church. In 1950 – the year this photograph was taken – the church’s management board proposed moving it to Stokes Valley. Parishioners fought the move and won. The controversy was one of the events that led to the formation of the New Zealand Historic Places Trust in 1955. The church was severely damaged by fire in 1989. It was sensitively rebuilt, and reopened in 1991.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.