Tānemahuta Gray is pictured during a traditional ceremony of welcome in the grounds of Hinemihi, the building used by the Ngāti Rānana Māori Club as their special meeting house. Hinemihi was the one of the few buildings left standing after the 1886 eruption of Mt Tarawera. In 1892 the house was shipped to London by the retiring New Zealand governor-general, Lord Onslow, and it now stands at Clandon Park, Guildford, Surrey. The Ngāti Rānana Māori Club formed in the 1950s and was still going strong in the 2000s, with a core group of members who have settled in London. This group is supplemented by the many Māori who pass through.
Using this item
Photograph by Karen Kershaw
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.