St John’s Presbyterian Church in Willis Street was opened in 1885, with seating for 800 people. Like most other 19th-century Wellington churches, it was built of wood to reduce the risk of collapse during an earthquake. It was designed in the Gothic Revival style by Thomas Turnbull, who also designed the nearby St Peter’s Anglican Church and Wesley Methodist Church in Taranaki Street.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence