Story: Te Āti Awa of Wellington

The new Pipitea marae, 1980

The new Pipitea marae, 1980

In 1980 at a traditional dawn ceremony, the new Pipitea marae was opened. Built just below the old Pipitea , it was designed to cater for the growing Māori population in Wellington. Although Te Āti Awa protocol is observed on the marae, it also caters for other tribes living in Wellington.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library, Dominion Post Collection (PAColl-7327)
Reference: EP/1980/1751/19A

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Morris Love, 'Te Āti Awa of Wellington - After 1840', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/1294/the-new-pipitea-marae-1980 (accessed 29 September 2022)

Story by Morris Love, published 8 Feb 2005, updated 1 Mar 2017