Story: Logging native forests

Sheep yards (3rd of 3)

Sheep yards

Birch Hill sheep station, in high country near Aoraki/Mt Cook, was established in the 1860s. Local timbers were used for enclosures and farm buildings. The fence around these sheep yards is made of tōtara.

Using this item

Private collection
Photograph by Chris Jacomb

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Nancy Swarbrick, 'Logging native forests - The timber industry, 1840–1920', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/12741/sheep-yards (accessed 7 July 2020)

Story by Nancy Swarbrick, published 24 Sep 2007