In 1876 the township of Inglewood in Taranaki was taking shape amid the stumps and decaying logs of the forest that once covered the land. Forest, called ‘bush’ by both Māori and settlers, was often seen as an obstacle to settlement. If it could not be easily or profitably felled, it was simply burned.
Using this item
Puke Ariki - Taranaki Museum & Library
This item must not be copied or reproduced in any print or electronic media without the prior permission of Puke Ariki Museum and Library. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.