Around 250 steep, rickety steps lead to the 18-metre-high lighthouse at Cape Palliser. First lit in 1897, the lighthouse was staffed until 1986, when it was automated. It affords magnificent views of Palliser Bay and the South Island.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence