This is Masterton’s main street in 1864, a decade after the town was founded. The street's straightness emphasises how order has been imposed on the landscape, but stands of native trees suggest the wilderness has not been completely tamed. The road was originally known as Main Street, then Bridge Street, as it crossed a series of bridges over creeks. Later it was renamed Queen Street after Queen Victoria.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.