This simple but elegant church was built of pit-sawn timber in 1881. Its construction was overseen by Pastor Otto Christoffersen, a Methodist minister who was appointed to the Mauriceville district in 1880. The cross on the spire is in the Scandinavian style, with two upright points at the ends. The church is still used by descendants of the Scandinavian families that settled the area.
Using this item
Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.