Dissatisfied with the Government Landing Service, in 1868 local merchants formed the Timaru Landing and Shipping Company. They constructed a new building at the bottom of George Street for their premises. Made of bluestone, it is the last remaining building of its type in the southern hemisphere. The completion of Timaru’s artificial port in the 1880s made the landing services obsolete. The building is now a tourist information centre.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence