This lime kiln at Kakahu was built of local rock in 1882. Limestone was mined nearby and carried on a tramline to the kiln, where it was placed in layers between firewood and burned. The lime was used as mortar and to fertilise soils.
Using this item
Permission of Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga must be obtained before any re-use of this image.