At this Māori eeling camp beside the Washdyke Creek and lagoon, around 1900, men are holding matarau for spearing eels. The hīnaki (eel pots) to the right were laid with bait in the creek behind. Two European boys watch proceedings from the railway bridge.
Using this item
South Canterbury Museum
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment