In 1853 the Canterbury Province was founded, and the Provincial Council became the main focus of political activity. Local architect Benjamin Mountfort designed the magnificent Provincial Council Buildings in Christchurch, which were built in three stages between 1858 and 1865. In the foreground is the earliest wooden section. The buildings were severely damaged in the February 2011 earthquake, but restoration is likely.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 14, IMG0015
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.