Before the 2011 earthquake, the aisle of the Christchurch Cathedral commemorated the English and Anglican origins of Canterbury with these romanticised images of the ‘first four ships’ – the Randolph, Cressy, Sir George Seymour and Charlotte Jane. The Canterbury Association aimed to create an English settlement centred on the Anglican faith, with people from all classes of society. The first settlers arrived at Lyttelton on four ships in 1850. In Canterbury it is regarded as a distinction to be descended from these pioneers.
Using this item
Te Ara – The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 New Zealand Licence