Story: Bay of Plenty region

Rail routes, 1950–1980 (2nd of 2)

Rail routes, 1950–1980

Railways were essential to the development of Bay of Plenty. The east coast main trunk line from Auckland had terminated at Tāneatua by 1928. Branch railway lines connected Tokoroa and Kinleith with Putaruru, and Murupara and Kawerau with Edgecumbe in the early 1950s. The Kaimai tunnel, built between 1966 and 1978, was a crucial rail connection between the port at Mt Maunganui and Waikato and nearby areas.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Bay of Plenty region - Depression and recovery: 1930s to 1970s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/map/6600/rail-routes-1950-1980 (accessed 16 May 2021)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, updated 1 Aug 2016