This detail of the original plan highlights Point Britomart. This was named after Captain William Hobson’s ship, HMS Britomart. Hobson and his party landed on the point from the ship on 18 September 1840. The British flag was raised and a gun salute fired.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: Crop of NZ Map 4601
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.