About 400 people, many of them Germans, Poles and Italians, were recruited to establish a settlement at Jackson Bay (formerly known as Jackson’s Bay) in South Westland. This 1884 map from the Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives shows where the settlement was established.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives (New Zealand), 1884, C–1, p. 76.
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.