Energised by the Southland League’s Alexander Rodger, the forward-looking province was electrified in the 1920s, using its own hydroelectric power station at Lake Monowai. This map shows the network in 1930. The depression soon plunged the enterprise into bankruptcy, and central government took it over in 1935.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Source: Malcolm McKinnon, ed., Bateman New Zealand historical atlas: Ko papatuanuku e takoto nei. Auckland: David Bateman, 1997, plate 88