Story: Government and agriculture

Alienation of Māori land in the North Island to 1860 (1st of 2)

Alienation of Māori land in the North Island to 1860

Until 1860, European settlement in the North Island was clustered in the Bay of Islands and far north, Auckland, New Plymouth, Whanganui, Wellington, Wairarapa and Hawke’s Bay.

Using this item

Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

Source: Claudia Orange, Illustrated history of the Treaty of Waitangi. Wellington: Bridget Williams Books, 2001, p. 318.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Tony Nightingale, 'Government and agriculture - Land purchase and early farming regulations, 1840–1876', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/map/18043/alienation-of-maori-land-in-the-north-island-to-1860 (accessed 22 July 2019)

Story by Tony Nightingale, published 24 Nov 2008