Auckland was constituted in 1871, covering at that time only what is now the central business district. Over the next 60 years the city annexed a number of suburban areas, usually because local ratepayers wanted to take advantage of city services such as water supply and trams. Some areas retained their separate status. After 1930, there remained eight local authorities on the isthmus. They included Newmarket, which was entirely surrounded by Auckland city; Onehunga, a long-established port town; and outlying areas such as Mt Wellington, which only gained a borough (town) council in 1952.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment