This map shows how the boundaries of New Zealand changed from 1840 to 1887. The subantarctic islands were excluded from New Zealand territory in the original charter of November 1840, but they were then all included in the April 1842 letters patent. The Constitution Act of 1852 excluded the Auckland and Campbell islands once again before they were restored to New Zealand's control in an imperial act of June 1863. Finally in June 1887, by an act of the New Zealand Parliament following letters patent issued the previous year, the Kermadec Islands became part of New Zealand.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.