The tiny settlement of Te Hāroto, on the Napier–Taupō road, was once a major village of the Ngāti Hineuru tribe, followers of the Pai Mārire faith, which supported Māori self-determination. In 1866 a Pai Mārire group planning to attack Napier were defeated by settler militia, and those who survived the battle were shipped to the Chatham Islands. The government later built a military blockhouse at Te Hāroto.
Listen to a Roadside Story about Te Hāroto. Roadside Stories is a series of audio guides to places around New Zealand.
Taonga puoro courtesy of Richard Nunns
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.