This flag, Te Wepu (the whip), was known as Te Kooti's flag after he captured it in 1868. The imposing flag, 16 metres in length, had an interesting history. It was created by nuns at Greenmeadows Missionary School, near Napier, and gifted to Ngāti Kahungunu. Gilbert Mair, who made this ink drawing of the flag, captured it from Te Kooti in 1870.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.