Click on labels to see photographs.
Wellington's Karori Cemetery was established in 1891, when the inner-city Bolton Street Cemetery became too small for the expanding population. It stretches over 35 hectares and is New Zealand's second-largest cemetery. The first person buried in the cemetery was Frederick William Fish, a premature baby. Since then, 80,000 people have been buried there, some in coffins and others in caskets containing their ashes. The cemetery is now full, and the only plots available are pre-purchased individual and family plots, or plots for the burial of children.
Karori Cemetery is divided into sections, with separate areas for people of different religious affiliations. A services cemetery was established in 1921 for the armed forces. There is also a memorial for the 151 people who died in the derailment of a train at Tangiwai bridge on Christmas Eve 1953. Sixteen of the victims are buried at the memorial.
There are traditional burial grounds with tombstones, and also a lawn cemetery and a rose garden with plaques that remember those cremated at the Karori Crematorium. The oldest crematorium in Australasia, it began operating in 1909.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.