When Hutt County was formed in 1877, it included the whole region south of the Waikanae River, except the city of Wellington. Makara County was formed in 1908. As townships and suburbs became established between the 1880s and 1910s, they set up their own councils. Those next to Wellington later joined the city to benefit from its services, including trams. Hutt County Council administered rural areas and some smaller settlements until its abolition in 1989.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.
Add new comment