The New Zealand Shipping Company’s three 16,000-ton motor ships Rangitiki, Rangitane and Rangitata of 1929 were the height of modernity, the first diesel-powered passenger liners on the New Zealand run. The Rangitane was lost in the Second World War, but the others served into the 1960s, to the delight of those for whom travel aboard anything other than a ‘Rangi boat’ was unthinkable. This poster from around 1940 features the Rangitata.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.