In late 1940 the New Zealand government issued this poster to encourage civilians to contribute to the war effort at home. The Women's War Service Auxiliary organised the war efforts of women. It included such roles as first aid, driving trucks, canteen service, clerical work and farm work. By 1942 there were 75,000 members, but it remained voluntary. The Emergency Precautions Scheme (EPS) provided for civil-defence preparedness, covering matters such as fire services, medical arrangements and law and order. The EPS became compulsory in 1942. The Home Guard was formed in 1940 and also became compulsory in 1942, by which time over 100,000 civilians were trained to resist the enemy in the event of an invasion.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.