Story: Ngā hāhi – Māori and Christian denominations

Ringatū seal

Ringatū seal

The seal of the Ringatū Church, founded by Te Kooti in 1867, was designed in 1926 by the church's secretary, Robert Biddle. It shows the upraised hands (ringa tū) that symbolise the church. The open Bible in the centre is inscribed 'Te Kawenata Tawhito' and 'Te Kawenata Hou' (the Old Testament and New Testament), and 'Wharekauri 67' on the left refers to the date and place of the founding of the faith. Wharekauri is the Māori name for the Chatham Islands, where Te Kooti was imprisoned along with several hundred others. 'Wainui 26' on the right refers to the formal establishment of the Ringatū Church at Te Wainui on the Ōhiwa Harbour, Bay of Plenty, in 1926.

Using this item

The Journal of the Polynesian Society

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Hirini Kaa, 'Ngā hāhi – Māori and Christian denominations - Ringatū and Rātana', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/ephemera/31336/ringatu-seal (accessed 25 September 2021)

Story by Hirini Kaa, published 5 May 2011, updated 1 Mar 2017