This is the cover page of the tūtohinga (charter) of Matahiwi marae (Ngā Poutama Nui a Awa) on the Whanganui River. Beneath the photo of the carved meeting house, named Taanewai, is a pepeha (saying) showing the marae's traditional links to the river, to two maunga (mountains) and to the region's iwi and hapū. Taanewai was opened in 1902. Click the link above to download a PDF of the charter.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.