Page 1: Biography
Taranui, Te Pokiha
Ngati Pikiao leader, soldier
This biography, written by Steven Oliver, was first published in the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, vol 1, 1990.
Te Pokiha Taranui belonged to Ngati Pikiao of Te Arawa, and was descended from Te Takinga and Hineui. His mother was Te Huruhuru and his father was Taranui. He was born probably in the Rotoiti district early in the nineteenth century. He took the name Te Pokiha (Fox), probably on his baptism by CMS missionaries at Rotorua or Tarawera. In 1838 he was one of the chiefs who led Ngati Pikiao to Lake Okataina in a dispute with Ngati Tarawhai, also of Te Arawa. There was desultory fighting, but Ngati Pikiao soon returned to Rotoiti. Te Pokiha achieved prominence in the wars of the 1860s, when he led Te Arawa troops in support of the government against the King movement, and subsequently against Hauhau, and Te Kooti and his supporters. His tactics and strategy throughout his military career were aimed at avoiding unnecessary risks and loss of life. He was conspicuous, however, for his personal bravery.
In January 1864 war parties from the East Coast gathered at Matata to go to the aid of the King movement against Lieutenant General Duncan Cameron's invasion of Waikato. Te Arawa refused to allow the East Coast army to cross their territory. Tohi Te Ururangi of Ngati Whakaue raised 400 warriors, and was joined by Te Pokiha and Ngati Pikiao. Te Arawa were supplied with gunpowder and lead by the government, and in March they defeated the East Coast forces at Taurua ridge, near Rotoiti. The King movement supporters retreated to the coast, at Otamarakau, and were followed there by Te Arawa. On 22 April, in fighting at the Waihi estuary, east of Maketu, Te Pokiha distinguished himself by making a brave dash across 200 yards of ground under enemy fire, to assist Pakeha troops in an exposed position. On his advice they ignored a bugle call ordering retreat and remained under cover until nearly sunset, when they were able to make their escape. On 27 April the East Coast warriors were driven from their positions and retreated along the beach, shelled by warships. Te Pokiha rejected a suggestion that they be allowed to retire, and insisted on an unrelenting pursuit. Their final defeat was at Te Kaokaoroa on 28 April.
In 1865 Te Pokiha went with Te Arawa and other government troops in pursuit of the Hauhau who had been involved in the killing of the missionary C. S. Völkner at Opotiki, and James Fulloon at Whakatane. Te Arawa entered the swamps of the Rangitaiki River and besieged the pa at Te Teko on 17 October. Te Pokiha had relatives in the pa, and in the smaller pa of Pa-harakeke on the other side of the river. As the government's intention was to capture only those directly involved in the killings, Te Pokiha crossed the river to Pa-harakeke and called on the inhabitants to surrender. When they did so, Te Teko pa surrendered as well. As a result of assisting the government in the Whakatane area, Te Arawa had missed the planting season. By the middle of 1866 they were desperately short of food. Te Pokiha was one of nine Te Arawa chiefs who petitioned the government for additional payment for the Whakatane campaign. They had received only £2 5s. for each man for three months.
Rotorua was invaded by Hauhau from Waikato in March 1867 while Te Arawa troops were away in the Tauranga area. After being halted at Te Koutu pa, the Hauhau fortified Puraku pa, near Tarukenga. When government forces attacked Puraku, Ngati Pikiao cut off the retreat of the enemy and took part in the pursuit. After this battle Te Pokiha led a contingent of Te Arawa to Tauranga, where Hauhau were again gathering. There was, however, little fighting until Te Kooti and other prisoners escaped from the Chatham Islands and landed on the East Coast at Whareongaonga on 10 July 1868. After a defeat at Ngatapa in January 1869, Te Kooti built up his guerrilla army in the Urewera, and raided the Bay of Plenty. With about 100 followers he attacked Rauporoa pa, near Whakatane, in March. The defenders fled towards Whakatane. On the arrival of Te Arawa troops in support of Major W. G. Mair's militia, Te Kooti retired to Tauaroa pa, in the Rangitaiki valley, near the entrance to the Horomanga gorge. Te Pokiha refused the order to surround the pa with his troops, as night had fallen and none of his people knew the area. Te Kooti escaped into the Urewera, where Te Arawa were unwilling to follow.
When Te Kooti moved south from the Urewera and attacked Mohaka in April 1869, the government decided to end his raids by occupying the mountains and attacking the Tuhoe people who supported him. Te Pokiha was one of the leaders of Te Arawa who marched into the Urewera from Fort Galatea on 4 May with Colonel G. S. Whitmore's column. The column captured Ahikereru and Te Harema, and, despite some reluctance, moved on towards Ruatahuna, firing into every place on the forested track that could conceal an ambush. On 8 May the column reached the Ruatahuna valley and destroyed all food crops that could be found. Colonel J. H. H. St John's column also arrived at Ruatahuna as planned.
Te Pokiha, with Ngati Pikiao troops and armed constabulary, was sent to look for Te Kooti in the area between Ruatahuna and Lake Waikaremoana. They met his advance guard at Orona, where Te Pokiha led Te Arawa in a charge that drove the guard back. Fighting continued along the track to Waikaremoana but Te Arawa were reluctant to continue owing to the lateness of the season and the shortage of ammunition. Whitmore agreed to turn back; had they continued, the column would almost certainly have been destroyed by Te Kooti in a carefully prepared ambush. Te Kooti went to Taupo and then advanced towards Rotorua in February 1870. Te Pokiha, now a major, was among the defenders. In March 1870, however, Pakeha officers replaced Te Arawa leaders, who had previously commanded their own troops, and formed the Arawa Flying Column.
When Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, visited Tauranga in December 1870, Te Pokiha was presented with a sword of honour in recognition of his services. Te Pokiha and other Te Arawa leaders usurped Ngai Te Rangi rights as hosts by welcoming the duke ahead of the local tribe. After the duke's departure they were bitterly criticised, and fighting broke out.
After the wars ended, Te Pokiha lived at Maketu. He was the principal chief of Te Arawa to do so. His carved house, Kawatapu-a-rangi, was built about 1866, and his large storehouse (now in the Auckland War Memorial Museum) in the late 1870s. Te Pokiha directed his people in the construction of several enormous fishing nets, one of which was over a mile in length. He led Ngati Pikiao in roadmaking, but for a while opposed the construction of telegraph lines. He was not in favour of the sale of land to Europeans. In 1871 he spoke to an assembly at Kawatapu-a-rangi against the fees and surveys of the Native Land Court. He was furious when land he believed belonged to Ngati Pikiao was awarded to Ngati Whakaue, and threatened to occupy the land and commence cultivation. However, he remained within the law. In 1874 he went to Wellington to support Te Arawa petitions complaining that they were restricted to selling land to the government, and that government buyers were unscrupulously negotiating sales with persons who had no right to the land.
In 1878 warfare nearly erupted at Maketu between Ngati Pikiao and Ngati Whakaue over the operation of the land court. The principal antagonists were Te Pokiha and Petera Te Pukuatua. After mediation by Robert Graham in June, the Great Committee of Rotorua (Te Komiti Nui o Rotorua) was set up to settle land disputes and maintain law and order. In 1892 Te Pokiha was arrested for refusal to pay the government's newly imposed dog tax, and imprisoned for three days. He was deeply hurt by this humiliation. In the following year he supported the proposal to set up Te Kotahitanga (the Maori parliament). However, because of a dispute with Ngati Whakaue, he and Ngati Pikiao absented themselves from the third session of Te Kotahitanga at Rotorua in 1895.
Te Pokiha was an Anglican until the early 1880s, when he joined a movement of followers of the Old Testament, led by Himiona Te Orinui. This group was a development from the Tariao faith established by the second Maori King, Tawhiao, and became known in Maketu as Pokiha's Karakia (prayers), or Fox's Church. Te Pokiha was a teetotaller and in 1887 went to Motiti Island as a missionary for his church.
In his later years Te Pokiha married Ngarangikaki, the daughter of Rawiri Manuariki. After some years of illness he died in her arms, on 11 July 1901, at his home in Maketu. Te Pokiha was said to be in his 70s or 80s when he died. A great tangi was held, and he was buried with military honours. His remains were later placed in the cemetery of Te Atua-a-Reretahi, by Rotoiti.