A Methodist mission station was established in 1836 at Tangiterōria in central Northland, and operated until 1853. This engraving, published years later in 1878, shows the mission buildings on the banks of the Wairoa River. The river provided access to and from the mission from the Kaipara Harbour.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.