Believing that spiritual and practical instruction should be combined, the Reverend Samuel Marsden established a mission farm at Waimate North in 1831. The original aim of teaching agricultural and trade skills to Māori converts faded, and the station later became a theological college. This watercolour of the mission station dates from the 1830s or 1840s. A flag inscribed ‘Rongopai’ (heavenly peace) flies from the flagpole.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Watercolour by Thomas Gardiner
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment