After the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, William Hobson purchased land at Okiato to establish the country’s first capital. After the capital was moved to Auckland in 1841, the settlement at Okiato burned to the ground. Okiato was called Russell in 1840, but later the name was transferred to Kororāreka, 7 kilometres north. This view of the capital was sketched by Felton Mathew on 6 April 1840 and shows Government House, which was occupied by Hobson.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library
Pencil work by Felton Matthew
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Add new comment