Story: Northland places

Mission station, Paihia

Mission station, Paihia

In 1823 the Church Missionary Society established a mission station at Paihia, and Reverend Henry Williams and his family took up residence. In March 1827 Louis Auguste de Sainson visited with a French expedition led by Jules Sébastien César Dumont d’Urville, and this image records his impressions.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: B-052-019
Hand-coloured lithograph by Louis Auguste de Sainson

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland places - Paihia and Waitangi', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/7795/mission-station-paihia (accessed 25 May 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 4 May 2015