Story: Public, commercial and church architecture

St Joseph's, Dunedin (2nd of 4)

St Joseph's, Dunedin

This interior view of St Joseph's Catholic Cathedral in Dunedin, looking towards the altar, was painted in 1890. As with other Gothic churches, verticality is emphasised through the pillars and arches. The building also includes a rose window, a common feature of Gothic cathedrals. The haze from the burning candles and incense gives the scene an atmospheric quality; the reduced scale of the pews and people makes the space appear larger than it actually is. 

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: B-066-013
Watercolour by William Mathew Hodgkins

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Public, commercial and church architecture - Buildings of substance, 1860 to 1900', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/44757/st-josephs-dunedin (accessed 22 November 2019)

Story by Ben Schrader, published 22 Oct 2014