Story: Historic earthquakes

Wellington Harbour (Port Nicholson) and City

Wellington Harbour (Port Nicholson) and City

According to Māori tradition, Wellington Harbour once had a second entrance through the low area that now connects Miramar Peninsula (centre foreground) and the mainland. It was raised during an earthquake – probably in the 15th century – known to Māori as Haowhenua. This lithograph, published in 1842, illustrates the low-lying nature of the land around Miramar.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: C-029-006-b
Lithograph after a drawing by Charles Heaphy

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Eileen McSaveney, 'Historic earthquakes - Earthquakes in Māori tradition', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/artwork/4382/wellington-harbour-port-nicholson-and-city (accessed 12 December 2018)

Story by Eileen McSaveney, published 12 Jun 2006, reviewed & revised 28 Mar 2011, updated 1 Nov 2017