This magnificently carved pātaka (food storehouse) was painted by Charles Heaphy in 1842. It stood within the Ngāti Tama pā of Ōtumatua on the north Taranaki coast. The pātaka was mounted on twin poles to protect the contents from rats, and was reached by a notched pole with steps too far apart for rats to climb.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.